Sunday, June 30, 2013

FEELING WHIPPED?

Oh, how my grandson never ceases to amaze me with his thinking!  I am sure most grandparents say that about their grandchildren and I can see why.  But, I have to say Jude really is a thinker!  He makes me think!

The other day Jude had the refrigerator door open, standing there with one hand on the door and the other on his little hip looking, looking and looking…  His eyes were gazing over each shelf in depth.  He was going to find exactly what he needed no matter how long it took.  At the time I did not realize that what he was going to be reaching for was exactly what I needed today... well, in a way…

Since he had not made a decision I thought he might need a little help.  As I approach I ask him, “Darlin’ what are you looking for?”  He just sighed, “Hmmm…” then reached for this small carton of heavy whipping cream.   I said, “Oh, you won't like that, it’s whipping cream.”  Immediately he asked, “Why, because it will spank?”  As I chuckled I realized that the only whipping he knew was due to disobedience.  I then informed him it does not spank and together we found something he would like.

Like I said, Jude’s thinking makes me think.  I knew I would be sharing this sweet story with you, I just did not know when, until today. 

Have you ever felt whipped by life?  Are you feeling whipped now?  There are different types of “whippings”; some of us call them trials or tests.  It could be you are physically, financially, mentally and even spiritually feeling like you're down for the count… whipped.  So, like me, you may be asking “why?”.  Is it just because I don’t like of the taste of the trial or the hurt of the heavy?  Complaining never got me anywhere; only praying.  Could it be that this area of my life is not exactly in the right place, fixed?  Trying to fix things, myself, never worked.  So, I stand on God's word with the bible open, my heart open, looking, looking and looking... praying, praying, and praying.  Not wanting to close the door to God's word searching in depth until I find the answer, my heart cries, “Dear Lord, What do I need to change in my life?  Help me to see  that the whipping, spanking, trial, test is for my good.  It hurts now and I know there is a possibility it could hurt more.  So, please help me to accept while You direct showing what is best for me.”

Even though I don’t think Jude fully understood the difference here between whipping and spanking, he took me at my word that he would not like the heavy whipping cream.  Sometimes I don’t understand the "whips" of life.  But, I do know God is faithful to His promises... I just have to take Him at His word.

No matter the test or trial you are going through, somewhere there is always a smile; Jude is mine.


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11




No comments:

Post a Comment