Tuesday, February 18, 2014

THE JUDE LESSON



Yesterday, Jude and I were sitting on the front steps just enjoying the end of the day sunshine.  I love these times; just me and Jude talking about nothing that always means something to the heart; discussions about the neighbors, birds in the trees and all the fun we had sliding down the driveway the last time there was ice and snow… making another memory talking about memories.

As he adjusts his sitting position to match mine it reminds me of how careful I need to be in all my actions; does what I do mimic Christ?  Little eyes and little ears are fragile to the world they live in and I know without a doubt with my grandsons, my husband, my children, actually, with everyone I must follow Christ in all I do.  The Bible calls us to exemplify the “fruits of the spirit”; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  My “sitting position” must be aligned with Christ.

After a short while, we decided it would be fun to play with the little toy cars on the steps.  So, Jude hurries inside then brings out the yellow, purple and silver cars and a fire truck.  We play making car sounds zooming around.  Then I say, as if my car had someone driving in it, “Well, I’m going to work now.”  And off my car goes to another area on the steps.  Jude then says, “I’m going to work, too!”  With a smile I say, “Where do you work?”  He said, thinking I was talking about location, “Over here.”  “No, I mean where do you work? Like what place you go to work at...” I asked.  Without hesitation, Jude exclaimed, “Oh, I work for Jesus!”  Oh, my heart!

I didn’t think it could get any better than that until my daughter-in-love, Jude’s mommy, shared something with me this morning.  She said the other night they were watching the T.V. talent show, “American Idol”.  While sitting there, Jude looked at the television then at mommy and said, “Are they talking about Jesus?”  She said, “No.”  With boldness he stated, “Well, I want to talk about Jesus!”  So proud of Jude, mommy gladly turns off “American Idol” and gets the Bible and reads him the story of how God enabled Samson to kill a lion.  This is a wonderful story we all can learn from.  God showed Samson what he could do by relying on God’s strength alone.  He was trying to teach him not to be afraid to look the greatest difficulties in the face and trust Him.

Today, Jude, his baby brother Reid, and I arrived early to his preschool.  Sitting in the van, I asked Jude to give me one word to use today.  I felt he had a word for me that would be a "reminder to be thankful" word; a "happy day" word.  Although I tried to explain, he did not seem to understand.  We stepped out of the van and Jude asked me to wait.  He bends down and grabs a rock.  As he is wiping the dirt off he says, “Here, Granna!  I want to give you this beautiful rock!”  Unknowingly, he gave me my one word… beautiful. 

JUDE LESSON:  By adjusting our position, “tuning out the world” and focusing on God and His word, we will learn of God’s faithfulness and gain that same strength; therefore, enabling us to take on the “lions of life” as we cheerfully work for Jesus!  Living in Christ can be summed up in one word…beautiful!  Just beautiful!

Thanks to my grandson, I can’t quit smiling… don’t want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment